The Contemporary Austin believes teens have a unique and special voice in contemporary art. We offer innovative programs for teens to meet peers, engage in rich exploration of contemporary culture, and envision the museum in new ways. Open mind and curiosity needed for assembly!
The Contemporary Austin’s Teen Tumblr blog is an active forum, with writing, images, video, news, and more on contemporary culture. Check back frequently to stay current with these Internet happenings.
The Contemporary Austin opens several times a year for FREE teen events for students (ages 13–19), hosted by the museum’s Teen Council. Past events have included DJs, black-light art-making, guest artist workshops, improv, and a graffiti wall.
Please check back for upcoming events in the fall and spring!
Now accepting applications for 2016–2017! Deadline: May 27, 2016.
The Jones Center is closed for renovations. Please apply directly online at the links provided below. Alternatively, if you would like to use a printed application, you may download the PDFs below and submit your application by mail or in person at Laguna Gloria, 3809 W. 35th Street, Austin, TX 78703. PDF applications are also accepted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Fax applications to 512 458 1571.
The Contemporary Austin’s Teen Council, a leadership arts program, offers paid positions for ten to twelve high school students (ages 15-18). The Teen Council serves as an advisory council to The Contemporary Austin and as ambassadors for teens within the museum and community. For creative leaders of all kinds; need not be an artist to apply. Become an important asset to the inner workings of a museum!
Teen Council meets from September through May on Wednesday evenings from 5:30–7:30P at Laguna Gloria. Select meetings occur at the Jones Center and some Saturdays. Members receive an hourly wage.
Teen Council members…
- Meet motivated and passionate teens from around Austin
- Receive an hourly wage for your valuable contributions
- Make your voice heard on our teen Tumblr through art reviews, funny quotes, and more!
- Implement creative teen events of your design
- Explore ideas and topics through a lens of contemporary art and culture!
- Create a public art project with your peers
- Gain in-depth information about creative careers and how a museum works
If you prefer to use a printed application:
Applications for the Fall 2016 semester will open on August 1, 2016, with applications due September 16, 2016.
Young Artists is a FREE pre-professional arts program for high school students (ages 14–18) interested in the arts. Young Artists introduces creative careers, explores contemporary culture, provides portfolio development, and fuels a curiosity about the arts! Join Young Artists and develop your art through a lens of contemporary culture!
Select spaces reserved for students from underserved areas with limited access to arts opportunities in Austin. Young Artists is the pre-requisite for the Teen Artist + Mentor Program.
Young Artists participants…
- Receive one-on-one portfolio reviews
- Participate in a public display of your portfolio on the final day
- Walk away with a CD of high-quality images of your portfolio
- Talk with local artists during guest artist workshops and studio visits
- Attend field trips to local arts institutions, colleges, and studios in Austin
- Receive free bus passes to aid in transportation
- Explore new art mediums and techniques
- Apply to work with a local artist-mentor for seven months in 2016!
Teen Artist + Mentor Program
The Teen Artist + Mentor Program pairs high school students with professional "artist-mentors" to conceptualize and complete a long-term artistic project in any visual art field (photography, drawing, animation, sculpture, film, painting, etc).
Teen Artist + Mentor Program participants…
- Work one-on-one with their artist-mentors on their portfolio
- Work on their own projects with the help of their artist-mentors
- Get one-on-one instruction in skill development and idea expression
- See their artist-mentor’s work and work environment
- Ask professional artists questions about careers in the arts
- Take field trips to other museum or gallery exhibitions, lectures, performances, etc.
- Get free art supplies they need to express their ideas
- Brainstorm about career goals, college and art school options, internships, etc
- Show their work in a group exhibition, alongside the work of their artist-mentors
2016 Teen Artists + Mentors
- Prisila Cansino-Anaya + Shelley Wood
- Nicole Rose Hockaday + Amanda McInerney
- Miette Kaylor + Delilah Rose Knuckley
- Alyx Madera + Terra Goolsby
- Mónica Martínez + Susi Brister
- Joshua Mayo-Reese + Troy Allen
- Jacob Mendez + Abraham Mong
- Daisy Pesina + Claudia Aparicio-Gamundi
- Adetoro Soyemi + Rebecca Rothfus Harrell
- Juan Salcedo + Adrian Aguilera
Applications are open to past or current Young Artists participants. Applications are now closed for the 2016 program. Please check back to apply for 2017.
Are you a working artist interested in becoming a mentor? Learn more here.
The Teen Volunteers program is available for young people ages 13–18 at the Art School. Volunteers aid the instructor by facilitating student education, helping with any children that need extra assistance, and providing supervision during snacks and breaks.
Volunteers may apply to assist on Saturdays during the school year or on weekdays during summer, spring, and winter breaks. Volunteers attend a mandatory orientation and assist for the duration of a class, typically four to five, 3.5-hour-long sessions.
Teen Volunteers participate exclusively at the Art School at Laguna Gloria year-round, with extended offerings in the summer.
Update 5/18/16: Applications for summer volunteers are now closed. We are in the process of confirming availability and scheduling with early applicants. All additional applications received will be added to our wait lists for consideration should any volunteer openings become available.