The Contemporary Austin believes teens have a unique and special voice in contemporary art. We offer innovative programs for teens to meet peers, engage in rich exploration of contemporary culture, and envision the museum in new ways. Open mind and curiosity needed for assembly!
The Contemporary Austin’s Teen Tumblr blog is an active forum, with writing, images, video, news, and more on contemporary culture. Check back frequently to stay current with these Internet happenings.
The Contemporary Austin opens several times a year for FREE teen events in which teens take over the museum for an evening. Past events have included local DJs, flashlight art tours, black-light art-making, workshops by local Austin artists, improv, zines, and a graffiti wall. Keep your eyes peeled for open mic nights, movie screenings, performances, and other creative happenings by local teens.
Upcoming Teen Events:
All events are FREE and open to the public!
Applications are now closed for the 2016–2017 school year.
The Contemporary Austin’s Teen Council, a leadership arts program, offers paid positions for ten to twelve high school students (ages 15-18). The Teen Council serves as an advisory council to The Contemporary Austin and as ambassadors for teens within the museum and community. For creative leaders of all kinds; need not be an artist to apply. Become an important asset to the inner workings of a museum!
Teen Council meets from September through May on Wednesday evenings from 5:30–7:30P at Laguna Gloria. Select meetings occur at the Jones Center and some Saturdays. Members receive an hourly wage.
Teen Council members…
- Meet motivated and passionate teens from around Austin
- Receive an hourly wage for your valuable contributions
- Make your voice heard on our teen Tumblr through art reviews, funny quotes, and more!
- Implement creative teen events of your design
- Explore ideas and topics through a lens of contemporary art and culture!
- Create a public art project with your peers
- Gain in-depth information about creative careers and how a museum works
Applications for the Fall 2016 semester of Young Artists are due September 16, 2016. Please submit your application, and have your recommender submit their recommendation form, online at the links below. Alternatively, you may download the PDF of the application below and submit by email to email@example.com or by mail or in person to The Contemporary Austin – Laguna Gloria, 3809 W. 35th Street, Austin, TX 78703.
Young Artists is a FREE pre-professional arts program for high school students (ages 14–18) interested in the arts. Young Artists introduces creative careers, explores contemporary culture, provides portfolio development, and fuels a curiosity about the arts! Join Young Artists and develop your art through a lens of contemporary culture!
Select spaces reserved for students from underserved areas with limited access to arts opportunities in Austin.
In-Kind Support for Teen Artists is provided by the Austin Film Society.
Young Artists participants…
- Receive one-on-one portfolio reviews
- Participate in a public display of your portfolio on the final day
- Walk away with a CD of high-quality images of your portfolio
- Talk with local artists during guest artist workshops and studio visits
- Attend field trips to local arts institutions, colleges, and studios in Austin
- Receive free bus passes to aid in transportation
- Explore new art mediums and techniques
Teen Artist + Mentor Program
The Teen Artist + Mentor Program pairs high school students with professional "artist-mentors" to conceptualize and complete a long-term artistic project in any visual art field (photography, drawing, animation, sculpture, film, painting, etc).
Teen Artist + Mentor Program participants…
- Work one-on-one with their artist-mentors on their portfolio
- Work on their own projects with the help of their artist-mentors
- Get one-on-one instruction in skill development and idea expression
- See their artist-mentor’s work and work environment
- Ask professional artists questions about careers in the arts
- Take field trips to other museum or gallery exhibitions, lectures, performances, etc.
- Get free art supplies they need to express their ideas
- Brainstorm about career goals, college and art school options, internships, etc
- Show their work in a group exhibition, alongside the work of their artist-mentors
2016 Teen Artists + Mentors
- Prisila Cancino-Anaya + Shelley Wood
- Nicole Rose Hockaday + Amanda McInerney
- Miette Merlot + Delilah Rose Knuckley
- Alyx Madera + Terra Goolsby
- Mónica Martínez + Susi Brister
- Joshua Mayo-Reese + Troy Allen
- Jacob Mendez + Abraham Mong
- Daisy Pesina + Claudia Aparicio-Gamundi
- Adetoro Soyemi + Rebecca Rothfus Harrell
Please join us for the opening of Fresh Exchange, the culminating exhibition of the 2016 Teen Artist + Mentor Program, July 8 at Pump Project! More info here.
Are you a working artist interested in becoming a mentor? Learn more here.
We’re accepting applications for the Teen Volunteer Program for ages 13–18 at the Art School at Laguna Gloria. Gain experience assisting our art instructors during Saturday classes throughout the school year. If you love art, working with children, and being active in the community, this is for you!
Volunteers aid the instructor by facilitating student education, helping with any children that need extra assistance, and providing supervision during snacks and breaks.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and positions are first-come, first-served.